I think we’re all familiar with the term “you are what you eat” – meaning to be healthy you need to eat healthy. When you eat a diet of processed foods, high in saturated fat, salt, white sugar and flour, it can lead to a host of health problems, low energy levels, and depression.
There are specific foods (groups) that have a key role in anti aging, while restoring your vitality and vigor:
- ALLIUM FAMILY – Garlic, onion, shallots and leeks all help to detoxify the body and restore liver function.
- BEANS/LENTILS – Low in calories and fat, but packed full of protein, high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, folic acid, and omega 6 fatty acids, beans/lentils are an anti aging dietary necessity!
- BERRIES – All berries including the *acai berry are loaded with powerful anti aging antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids (EFA’s). The phytonutrients found in berries help discourage the growth of cancer cells and the high Vitamin C content helps lower the risk of heart disease.
- CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES – Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, among others are considered super veggies containing phytochemicals that have excellent cancer fighting properties.
- GREEN FOODS – Barley grass, wheat grass, spirulina, and blue green algae are all very anti aging and are shown to have beneficial effects on cholesterol, blood pressure, and cancer prevention.
- NUTS/SEEDS – Almonds, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and so on are tremendously nutritious and an excellent source of protein, potassium, fiber, and EFA’s. Nuts have numerous anti aging and beauty benefits! One caveat: Consume nuts in moderation if your’e trying to cut calories as they are high in fat.
- OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS – These “good fats” are found in foods such as salmon and tuna, flax seed (oil), hemp oil, olive oil, avacado, and nuts. EFA’s are essential for brain, cardiovascular, skin health and so much more!
- SOY – Tofu, tempeh, miso and so on, contain cancer fighting compounds known as isoflavones which possess antifungal, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties which help reduce bad cholesterol, maintian bone density, and help reduce hot flashes and night sweat in postmenopausal women. NOTE: Because soy mimics estrogen, women who have had breast cancer should consult their doctor about whether to include soy in their diet.
- SPICES – Used for centuries for their medicinal as well as culinary purposes – Cinnamon, tumeric, ginger, paprika, rosemary, cayenne, oregano, and basil actually have more disease fighting antioxidants then most fruits and vegetables.
- SPROUTS – Sprouts are one of the most nutritious foods that exists! They’re extremely high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and have a high enzyme content – making them easy to digest. Sprouts are best eaten raw as cooking destroys much of their nutritional content.
- YOGURT/KEFIR – Containing live cultures – these foods are vital for replenshing healthy flora in the digestive tract. Adding fermented (probiotic) foods to your daily diet will boost your immune system and increase your energy!
- WHOLE GRAINS – Complex carbohydrates such as oatmeal, barley, brown rice, quinoa (keen wah) and popcorn are not only high in fiber, but a good source of vitamins, iron, and antioxidants. Whole grains have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and many types of cancer.
These delicious anti aging foods provide your body with the nutrients it needs, and may help reduce your risk of disease. So, if you’re serious about preventing disease, boosting your immune system, increasing your energy, looking younger, and feeling better, then adding these anti aging foods to your diet is a must!